Friday, November 5, 2010

Recyle, Recycle, wherfeore art thou Recycle?

Day 221

I have of late, wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth, I mean plastic, OK, I mean glass! No paper! Wait, what?...So I have a little Shakespeare on my mind as I ponder the absence of recycling opportunities on my current trip. Therefore, my suitcase is filling up with plastic, glass and paper to bring home and recycle at my house. I even washed out the containers from Chipotle, my new FAVORITE restaurant - "local food with integrity" - check it out:

http://www.chipotle.com/en-US/Default.aspx?type=default

By the way, beware, this page makes a cockadoodledo sound when it opens and it just scared the --- out of me here in the woods in a cabin by myself...breathe, breathe....man oh man - just lost a pound.

Anyway, back to recycling, the Hilton Garden Inn in Atlanta - nothing. The Holiday Inn Express in Carter Lake, IA - also nothing - except I give the front desk clerk huge credit for offering to come up to my room to take my recyclables for me - I guess there are a few individuals there that take the stuff home themselves...why doesn't the company as whole provide it? Argh.

The camp here does not recycle and all weekend we are using disposable plastic silverware and styrofoam plates - drats. At least I have my To Go Ware with me! Water bottle and coffee mug too...that will help a little. So, I asked the students to use one cup all weekend long and put their name on it - they are doing it! Love that! They also have water bottles - good.

As a small consolation, I was glad that my cousin in Omaha was able to rescue my #5 McDonald's cup from the trash for me (I confess, I should not have bought it in the first place - I was desperate).

Check out these websites to rate your hotel for its green/sustainable practices:

http://greenhotels.com/index.php

http://www.ecogreenhotel.com/

http://www.greenhotelreviews.com/

Meanwhile, November's Motivation Month - I am continuing the quest for the best green health and beauty products - next I will try Burt's Bees and Avalon...will keep you posted. Oh, I am adding NO COKE to this month too, really. December is going to have to do with clothing - I am going to attempt to wear only 6 items of clothing for the entire month - hmmmmmm...

More later - 6 hours of sleep is on my to do list! Have a Nothing New Day! Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment