Monday, November 15, 2010

Snow's a Coming...

DAY 231

I have calmed down after my Sun Chip Bag rage...world peace everyone, OK? And less trash in the landfills, please, that's all I'm saying!

Prepping for our favorite season here in Rochester - we call it "The Winter Time" or The I'll See You When the Sun Comes Back Out, Like Maybe Never, or Sometime in May Time". I finally cleaned out the small garden in the front of my house...I'd let it go free willy since August and there were many an interesting item including a small tree and a spiky tropical looking plant that I had no memory of whatsoever. Lots of holes in the dirt - buried squirrel treasure - and a ton of dead leaves. There are no trees right above this garden so I am not sure where said leaves came from - strange. A real mystery. By the way, rumor has it that October was Squirrel Awareness Month - also a mystery! Not to be confused with National Squirrel Appreciation Day on January 21st...

Anyway....as I was cutting, pulling and pondering how I was going to fit garlic planting into my day tomorrow, I got to thinking about a great conversation I had with some conference attendees on Saturday about Nothing New...I love that this is s conversation starter and I always appreciate what others know and are doing in their lives to cut back, cut down, take out, put in, etc.

Their first question to me (as it usually is) was "What about food?" The follow up questions are really about eating out, eating junk, preparing food vs prepared foods...We talked about eating locally and having a garden...they told me what they are doing too - all great! I do believe every small change, habit or effort is significant...We exchanged a few more ideas on food, cleaning products and health/beauty goodies, then parted ways on a reminder of Burt's Bees products - the second time in one week that BB has been put on my radar - it's a sign. Will look again to check for my criteria...

Snow soon according to the "talk" but I just saw 40s and 50s on the weather? Hmmmm - may still have time to paint the porch steps once more before winter really gets here. I'd like a different color blue, but will use up the paint from last year and start fresh next Spring to do the porch floor too...

Been thinking about doing another year of Nothing New...

Have a Nothing New Day! (Month, Quarter, Year?) Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment