Sunday, November 28, 2010

TOXIC - BE GONE!

DAY 244

I have settled down on my Sun Chip Bag issues....seems it is common knowledge out there that the bags are being phased out. I have certainly heard some interesting/fun conversations about it! Seems Frito-Lay is going back to the drawing board and will try again for the sound sensitive snackers. OK.

The Wegman's in Ithaca, NY has compostable plastic take out containers now - excellent! I enjoyed my vegetarian goodies on the road with the peace of mind of reasonable plastic. Weggy's has figured it out, hopefully FL can too.

Anyway, I am still on my quest for "natural" health and beauty products...am finishing up some Body Shop products that I like but don't love. Good timing as my friend Erin is now promoting a new great organic product line called Neal's Yard Remedies - will give them a try - my only concern is that they are produced in the UK - not local at all! Nonetheless, most of their products are organic, non-animal testing, etc. and have a lot of the other features I am looking for. I used these products the year I lived in London - an established company for 20 years. Here is the NYR Product statement and their "just say no" list:

"Health is the most important thing to us. When formulating and making our products, we follow the precautionary principle – which means not using anything we believe could cause you, or the planet harm."

NO ANIMAL TESTING - unnecessary and cruel
NO GMO INGREDIENTS - not enough is known about the long-term implications
NO PARABENS - linked to oestrogen overproduction
NO NANO PARTICLES - not enough is known about their long-term implications
NO SYNTHETIC FRAGRANCES - often associated with allergic reactions
NO SYNTHETIC COLOURS - often associated with allergic reactions
NO SILICONES - coat the skin, impeding its natural function
NO MINERAL OILS - derived from petroleum, have a tendency to block the skin
NO PHTHALATES - reported to have toxic impact on human and animal life
NO EDTA - doesn't readily biodegrade
NO PROPYLENE GLYCOL - derived from petroleum
NO CARBOMER - derived from petroleum
NO DEA - associated with known carcinogens

Now there is a consultant based organization here in the US - Erin is 1 of 1000 consultants in the US in this new initiative - her website here:

https://us.nyrorganic.com/shop/ekwhiting

Erin also re-directed me to a website(via Amy Jane Stewart! http://www.organicajane.com/newsmedia.html) that rates products on their toxicity levels - very interesting - Check it out:

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

Will let you know how this turns out... More to come on making Christmas gifts - I have committed to only hand-made by me or second-hand gifts...and I do not mean re-gifting!

Have a Nothing New Day! Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment