Sunday, November 14, 2010

Really? A Rant on Sun Chip Bag Haters

DAY 230

I just found out that the great new (revolutionary) compostable Sun Chip bag is going to be discontinued in the US because the bag is too loud. Really? Too loud for what? Too loud? Take them out of the bag and put them in a bowl. Too loud? Stop trying to sneak food in the middle of the night. Too loud? Get off the couch and and stop watching NOTHING on TV. Too loud? Just deal with it because it reduces waste and the product tastes great!

This must mean that there are people out there with enough free time to complain in general about a chip bag - enough time to complain to Frito-Lay and enough time create a FB page to complain - 53,249 people "like" the SORRY BUT I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THIS SUN CHIPS BAG page. Really?

My message to the 53,249: Try this...care more about the environment, work on bigger issues than loud snack bags, eat better, get over it!

I really hope Frito-Lay reverses their decision and continues the bag here as they have in Canada (they get it) Do not cave to misguided and narrow-minded consumers FL! To be fair, I can see the business side of things...there was an 11% decrease in sales of Sun Chips over the past year. Well, shame on us as consumers then.

I am personally bummed - of course in a "non-life threatening/I will be able to move on by tomorrow" kind of way. I had been buying only Sun Chips in the compostable bag for every snack need - even when I REALLY wanted salt & vinegar potato chips with my sandwich and tortilla chips with my salsa. I know, I know, should be eating carrots and remain grateful to be able to afford snacks...Check and check.

Read a great article from Fast Company Magazine for more info:

http://www.fastcompany.com/1700283/frito-lay-to-canadians-here-are-some-earplugs-for-your-noisy-sunchips

And check out this funny Canadian video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPmKI19-Ze8&feature=player_embedded

I will continue to buy Sun Chips - their plant in Modesto, CA (1 of 8 plants) uses solar energy to create the chips there...good!

OK, I am going to have a little snack now - plug your ears!

Have a Nothing New Day! Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment