Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Story of Stuff

DAY 118

Hello! Today was a "resting work" day - much needed. Ate more NY food for meals - maybe August will not be so hard! I will be traveling by car only during "Local Food Month" which should make it easier...I will have a cooler, be able to go to grocery stores on the way, etc. BTW, breakfast was a DUCK EGG omelet with goat cheese - yum. Duck eggs are larger and mostly yolk ($.75 each), tasted good but not any better or that different from the great organic eggs I have been enjoying. Saving egg crates for Fimka to reuse.

One of things I want to do here here is give you some great resources along with sharing my own learnings. People are telling me about so many great books and websites along with their own stories and revelations - educational and inspirational...

So, I shared my Nothing New idea with Pat (great, trusted friend and voice of reason) back on on Day 6 while at a conference in Boston. She totally gets it and we had a great conversation about needs vs wants, material things, consumerism gone bad and "stuff"...She mentioned a great video they use to train her staff at the AMC (Appalachian Mountain Club) - it tracks the production of stuff and how "planned obsolescence" (in everything from appliances to fashion) is working hard and working well to get us to buy, buy, buy....Very interesting - check it out!

http://www.storyofstuff.com/

...and the video started out Youtube and turned into a book!

The Story of Stuff: How Our Obsession with Stuff Is Trashing the Planet, Our Communities, and Our Health-and a Vision for Change by Annie Leonard

I can buy used books so this on is on my list...hope it's on yours too!

Coming soon - My Story of Plastic!

Until next time - Have a Nothing New Day! Kristin

1 comment: