Sunday, May 29, 2011

Year Two of Nothing New - Let the Games Begin!

DAY 8

I started Year Two on Sunday, May 22 to coincide with Day One of the LeaderShape Institute with Cornell University students... It was easy to start since Days 1-6 were sequestered at a retreat site in Painted Post, NY! Now the real test begins.

I will be doing monthly challenges again...while I am ramping up for June, I am using the rest of May to get my garden in order, go through closets, clean my office and spare room...

To keep things super exciting, I am also adding three major year-long efforts...

1. No TV for one year! I will take the TV out of my living room so it will be easy at home anyway to NOT watch...it will be a little more challenging if I am at a friend's house or in a hotel room whilst on the road...I will be strong! I will not be watching Hulu or any TV on the web either - easy now since all the season finales have taken place - talk to me in the fall when I am missing Glee, Modern Family, The Office and The Good Wife!

2. No Starbucks!!!! I have gotten into a bad habit of a weekly - if not more frequently - iced grande caramel macchiato...I was using it to celebrate - everything from a successful workshop to working with a new client to "Today is Tuesday"...not good! I shouldn't even be drinking coffee for one thing (food sensitivity) or milk! (lactose intolerant) - never mind it is $4 plus every time...imagine a year of savings - $4 x 52 = $208...will bring my own tea and reusable mug if I meet someone at an SB or any other coffee spot...I think I can do this one...

3. Seriously reducing my trash production...even though I compost and recycle, I know I can do more! Had to make a tough decision today at Wegman's - to buy locally grown greenhouse lettuce in a #5 non-recyclable container or lettuce from California in a little plastic bag I can use again or recycle...I opted for the CA lettuce - now I am thinking I should have gone with the local lettuce and found a re-use for the silly container...what do you think? I am also keeping all pieces of paper mail I get from unsolicited sources and making ongoing calls to get off mailing lists...should be interesting to track...

NOTE: I continue to get pulled into the food part of my Nothing New lifestyle...I am working hard to eat seasonally and locally...I found out that yogurt is OK for most folks with lactose intolerance and got me some Chobani Greek Yogurt today - made in NY - yay! It has 23g (that's twenty-three!) of protein in 8 ounces - more yay! Local kidney beans and NY apples are getting me back on track...

More soon - hope you are all well...

Have a Nothing New Day! Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment